Beginner question: should I run my own VPS, or is a pooled VPS cheaper? Or should I keep using a VPN subscription?

Regarding VPS, I’m a total beginner and want to learn and master how to set up VPS. Right now I’m using VPN subscriptions. Currently my main plan is MESL at 72 yuan per quarter, only 100GB per month, but I feel their traffic gets used up incredibly fast—seems to be throttling. For cheap backups, cheap providers like ‘airports’ or Liangxin Cloud (良心云) feel like they consume traffic more slowly, but the node quality isn’t great.

My main use is AI, occasionally binge-watching weekly anime videos; otherwise I don’t need much, and I feel my monthly total traffic is between 200GB and 300GB.

So I’d like to ask whether I should buy a VPS to self-host a node? (I know AI requires higher node quality) or go for a group buy? or continue using VPN subscriptions? My budget can be within 50 yuan per month.

P.S. I checked VPSs recommended by Maola (猫佬); Da Ma (大妈), Bandwagon Host, VMISS — none of them have cheap VPS; they’re all very expensive.

Carpooling, waiting for cargo release.

With this budget, just carpool—it’s cheaper and saves you the hassle. Or you can drive yourself.

Let’s pool together. Your ‘airport’ costs are almost as high as building one yourself. I snagged an auntie’s promo plan, and it’s just over 350 a year; one month of bidirectional traffic is 1000 GB :distorted_face:

Which machine is this?

I’d suggest carpooling — you could even use two cars.

Everyone’s needs are different, I guess. I usually set it up myself, mainly for security reasons. I’m not really comfortable relying on others. It just takes a little more time.

Line servers are pretty expensive.
In SG, it’s $30 a year; the IPs look pretty good — you can check them on the site.
And if you don’t need latency, CCS has machines with 40 TB per month of traffic; for daily use in Los Angeles, it should be fine.
Of course, if you want something you’ll actually enjoy using, you’ll need both a line server and a bare-metal server.

Let’s group buy—prices for decent line machines have skyrocketed.

Alright, I’ll take a look, thanks!

VMiss’s US West option isn’t expensive. 4.5 CAD per month, 45 CAD per year. Just pick whichever carrier you’re with. The 9929 version is available from both China Unicom and China Mobile.

I checked the cheaper options and they’re all sold out. Now it’s only CAD 60 per month.

What broadband are you on? It’ll occasionally top up a little, so it’s best to keep an eye on Telegram. I have a CMIN2 that will expire in a few days, and I might just give it away.

Telecom, I want to buy an American VPS. I checked today, the cheap ones are all out of stock.

CMIN2 doesn’t seem to be very telecom-friendly.

What’s the Telegram channel? I’ll add it and follow it.

+1 for carpooling

You’re not asking for much either. I suggest pooling for a home broadband plan; a small data cap is fine, for AI use. And grab a VPN service to watch videos.

你们自己建都用的啥脚本啊怎么搭建的啊

如果想要稳定并且ip分流都自己来的话,还是自建
可以多了解一下线路和ip相关的内容,多看看大佬们的测评